What Defines You?

I want to make you think a little bit this Wednesday. I know it’s hump day and our brains stop functioning the closer we get to the weekend (wait, maybe that’s just me…). But just for a second, think about what defines you?
Is it the car you drive?
How many likes you get on a photo on Instagram or Facebook?
How many races you run?
Or what you see in the mirror?
I think there are so many things that we let define us (keyword ‘let’) that really have no impact whatsoever on who we really are as a person – at our very core.
I came across this incredible video of a motivational speaker named Lizzie Velasquez who was born with an extremely rare disease that doesn’t let her gain weight. She is also partially blind.
Lizzie Velasquez
The amazing thing about Lizzie is that she chooses what some may see as deformities or hindrances, and she uses these as her motivation.
She uses the negativity to create positivity.
Isn’t that such an inspiring concept?
If you have time, I definitely want to urge you to watch this video of Lizzie speaking. I wish I could make everyone watch this video because it is worth every minute! It is extremely eye-opening and will completely redefine your definition of beauty.
So back to my original question today…what defines you? Better yet, what do you want to define you?
I want to be defined by:
-my faith and who I am in Christ
- my relationships with people and how I treat them
-my compassion
-my positivity

Comments

1. dillowa1@gmail.com' says

Amazing post. I think this question is so important. I left my job almost a year ago because it was defining me, and not in a good way. I was working 70/hrs a week, nights and weekends and completely unhappy. Sure, I had the new car, designer bags and a never ending bank account but I was so unhappy. I left my job because I didn’t want to be that person any more. I wanted to live life. I wanted to redefine myself, give back and find my happy.

Such a great post. I hope everyone takes a minute to think about who they are and who they want to be.

• theorder says

Hey Brynn,

I’m sorta Stacie’s webmaster for her blog. It’s nice to see people that have a story like mine! When I graduated I had a job offer from Intel (they make computer chips for almost every computer made) that had a salary well into the six figures. However, I knew if I took the job I would be giving up so much and only gaining the money. I ended up taking a job at the YMCA that pays nowhere near as good as Intel. Plus, there are some people in Augusta I can’t put a price tag on. People chase money their whole life and when they die so does their money… it’s sad.

Don’t be modest. You pretty much are my webmaster! I can personally say that I am so glad that you chose the road less traveled and stayed true to the things close to you – like your dear friends!

Thanks for your comment, Brynn! I know that it must have been a very difficult decision for you to walk away from a job that was offering you so many things. At the end of the day though, they are just things though aren’t they? I’m glad to hear that you were someone with the courage to realize that and make a change (Not to sound like I’m against having a nice job with nice things. Hey, I’m actually all for it!…just not at the sake of your sanity or relationships).

How long did you think about the decision to change careers before you did?

2. thesavedrunner@gmail.com' says

I love this post, and I love what you want to be defined by! Stacie, I am so glad we have met each other in this blog world, and I’m thankful that we are sisters in Christ! That is such a beautiful thing! In this world it’s so hard to not get consumed by the worldly things and become defined by those things, but we have to remember that we came into this world with nothing, and we will leave without nothing. Like you, I hope to be defined by my relationship with Christ and the love that I show others. Have a great day! :)

3. freeingimperfections@gmail.com' says

I love your thoughts today, Stacie. It’s amazing what we let define us. My biggest struggle is letting what I do, and how much I do, define who I am. If I just “do it all,” then it’s all okay. But if I don’t, I feel like a failure, even if no one is measuring my success or failure.

I want to be defined by a peaceful spirit from the Lord, love toward others, and compassion.

Your toughest critic is always yourself. I understand where you are coming from, Melissa. I love that you want to be defined by your peaceful spirit from the Lord. Peace is a word I have really been trying to grasp lately myself.

4. lusry56@gmail.com' says

I am so proud of you for your blog. I love you. I think both of us would benefit from making it a goal to be less fearful of the unknown. The things that I cannot find answers to terrify me. They shake me to my core. They force to me to be brave. Many situations are different than my own and everyone is fighting their own battle in some way. I would like to be defined by the type of mother I am and my faith. Christ saved me when no one else could. He takes away the fear of the unknown and the desperation for answers. Ava is not afraid of the unknown so why should I be? Yes I am the adult but she inspires me. She shows me what bravery is and what it means to be truly fearless. I want those types of characteristics to define me.

Aw, Leeanne! I love you and Ava! She really is quite a special girl who doesn’t let fear, or anything else for that matter, hold her back. I would love to be able to have that child-like faith and confidence. I hope she never loses it! I agree, I think we both tend to fear the things that we, ultimately, really have no control over. I’m trying to learn to be better : ) I can say that I definitely think that things that define you are that you are such a dedicated, selfless and loving mother along with your faith – your faith not only in God in His plans, but your faith in people and that situations will always work themselves out!

5. herhappybalance@gmail.com' says

Wow, what a powerful message. I actually had never heard of this rare disease either. I would also like to be defined by my positivity and outlook on life. It’s one of my goals this year to really change my mindset when I get stressed out and to focus on the positives and not get bogged down by the negatives.

That is something I want to be defined by as well, Leslee. It can be so easy to give in to negative thoughts instead of focusing on the positives. I actually fought this battle pretty hard all day. I didn’t quite win, but hopefully I will get better with time!