My First What I Ate Wednesday

Back when I was reading blogs from the outside looking in, I loved reading people’s WIAW posts. Is that weird? I think it’s so interesting to see how other people eat on a day to day basis. I can’t believe I have yet to do a WIAW on my blog yet, so today seemed as good as any other day to start.

Breakfast: I’m a big fan of mixing cereals. Don’t ask me why I do this or how I started it. I think I just like taking a cereal that is kind of more bland in taste and pairing it with a cereal that has a sweeter taste. I trick myself into eating healthy cereals this way!
Kashi cereal WIAW
Kashi cereal WIAW
I also had a glass of milk because I must drink milk every morning. MUST.

Lunch:
For lunch I had a BBQ Ranch chopped salad (so, so good) and some Triscuits.
Dole Chopped Salad
WIAW Dole chopped salad
Snack #1: Kiwi
Kiwi
Snack #2: I teach spin every other Tuesday, so I only have about an hour between getting off work and going to the gym to teach. I threw together this little green goddess smoothie (almond milk, collard greens, spinach, peanut butter, honey) to hold me over through spin class.
Green Goddess smoothie
Dinner: Since I don’t get home until close to 8 on the nights I teach spin. I like to keep dinner very basic and easy. Last night, I had salmon and sweet potato gnocchi and another salad.
Salmon and sweet potato gnocchi
I cooked the salmon in my infrared oven, so it sadly burned the outer crust, but the salmon itself was still good (just made for a crappy picture).
salmon and sweet potato gnocchi
So, there are my eats!
What did I learn from my first WIAW? I need to work on my food photography skills. Like for real!
What was your favorite meal yesterday?
Any tips on food photography for me?
Don’t forget! Today is the last day to enter the Custom Button Monogram Giveaway. Enter here!

Comments

1. runninginaskirt@gmail.com' says

I’m a total cereal fan too! We probably have 10 boxes at a time in the pantry. It’s bad….
    My favorite thing I ate yesterday was a Stromboli I made… sort of semi homemade. I took some pictures for a future post.
    I’m still learning food photography myself! So far I’ve picked up on NOT using the flash. That seems to get better pictures for me.

I love Stromboli (I actually love anything consisting of bread and cheese)! I can’t wait to read about your recipe!

I agree about the flash. It seems to reflect off the plates and distort the picture.

2. admin@bumpandrunchat.com' says

My favorite meal from yesterday is a toss up between the chicken wings I ate for dinner and the kettle popcorn I had as a snack (both, of course, leftovers from the Super Bowl)! I love popcorn and rarely eat chicken wings so both were fantastic! I’m still learning food photography as well, but I recently learned that staging is key. One blogger almost never takes pictures in her kitchen bc the lighting is bad, so she moves her food to a well lit area and takes her snapshots from there. And one thing I recently did, because I have only two different sets of placemats, was buy a yard each of several different fabrics that would make really cool backgrounds. You can usually find great sales for fabrics and lots of stores have smaller pieces for sale which is even cheaper. I’m excited to try them all=)
    ~Bre
    ~Bre

That’s a really good idea about buying different placemats for backgrounds! Thanks so much for sharing! I like the idea of taking the food outside of the kitchen to photograph it, but I’m always so ready to eat my food that this sounds like a lot to ask for : )

I always forget about poor kiwi too! And yes, sweet potato gnocchi does exist and it’s as amazing as you would imagine it to be. I got this from Trader Joe’s, but I’m already searching around for recipes now.

3. alex.kenzielife@gmail.com' says

Photographing food is harder than it looks! I know because I’m still not great at it! I want to make a light box though, so that’s one of my goals for the next few months. I’m a total cereal mixer too!

4. freeingimperfections@gmail.com' says

Yummy! I have yet to hop on the WIAW bandwagon too. I want to, but I hate feeling obligated to weekly posts. And I know I’d want to do it every week. Idk, we’ll see.

Is that sweet potato gnocchi from Trader Joe’s?? It looks like their kind of packaging… I’d love to try it!

I don’t think it’s something I can dedicate myself to every week, but maybe every other week or so.

Yes, it is from Trader Joe’s! You know you’re a Trader Joe’s fan when you can recognize their packaging : )