Let the Search Begin! 23

Ugh, why do weekends always go by so fast? Why??? I’m sorry I’m being a bit whiny today. It’s just that I’m not such a big fan of being an adult lately. Anyone else have those days (or weeks or months)?  I’ll admit it, I miss having spring breaks and summer breaks. Is it too late for me to become a teacher?

One of the upsides to being an adult though is that you get to have a wedding : ) This weekend, I started the search for my dream wedding venue which led me to the Riverbanks Zoo and Botanical Gardens in Columbia, SC. I know what you’re probably thinking…A zoo? Really, Stacie? Hear me out, the wedding and reception would be in the botanical gardens which is across the river from the zoo, so no gross elephant smells!

riverbanks-botanical-gardens

Riverbanks Botanical Garden wedding

This is the actual ceremony site which is so gorgeous. They hold their weddings right around sunset which is the perfect time to me. I also like that this venue is a pretty much one stop shop. The catering is handled onsite and with views like this decorating would be a breeze. The only thing that worries me about this venue is the size. The ceremony space seats 150. Right now, I have around 200 on my guest list (rough draft). But aren’t you supposed to send out more invites? Not everyone who is invited will come…how do you gage this?

riverbanks-zoo-magnolia-room

Riverbanks Zoo Magnolia Room

Riverbanks Zoo and Botanical Gardens

This is the reception space. I loved the floors and the outdoor patio. I would have to do some hardcore praying for good weather! I still need to get a proposal from the catering manager for food and beverages to make sure this venue is within budget (99% sure it will be). I guess, the biggest thing I have to consider with this venue is the size and unpredictability of booking an outdoor venue. I can already tell from my meeting that the staff at the Riverbanks Zoo and Botanical Garden would be a dream to work with!

I’m looking at a few other venues and hope to visit another one this weekend. Let’s see…other wedding related news…not too much honestly. I think the only thing that we have 100% set in stone is who are bridesmaids and groomsmen will be. I will be sharing that soon once everyone has been asked.

Let’s see, what else happened this weekend? I did some spring cleaning. Boring, but had to be done! Zac got to go to the Master’s. The only way I would forgive him for going without me was if he brought me one of the famed pimento cheese sandwiches and something from the gift shop.

Master's pimento cheese sandwich

Master's giftshop 2014

My take on the world famous pimento cheese sandwich (I’m not exaggerating, it really is)? It was pretty good. Being from the South, I’ve had my fair share of pimento cheese over the years. I can honestly say that my friend’s grandma makes the best I’ve ever tasted. The Augusta National needs to give her a call! Then again, I’ve heard that part of the charm of the sandwich is eating it on the course with a cold beer in hand. Maybe next year I’ll get to try it as it’s intended to be eaten. Hear that Augusta National ticket people?

Ahhh, a girl can dream!

What’s your favorite and least favorite thing about being an adult?

Did you do anything fun this weekend?

My married friends, is there some secret formula to figuring out how many people will come to your wedding based on how many invites you send?

23 thoughts on “Let the Search Begin!

• Jessiejoshua21@yahoo.com'
    Jessie

love, Love, LOVE the venue! It’s absoutely beautiful & would be perfect!!! Girl, you should’ve had a beer w/ your sandwich when he brought you it home. Silly you!

• thesavedrunner@gmail.com'
    Becky@TheSavedRunner

That wedding venue is absolutely beautiful! If you are planning on inviting 200 people and the venue seats 150 I would say you will definitely have enough room! People always told me only about half or a little more than half of the people you invited would come, and that was true of our wedding and of most weddings I know of. If you want some security though you could ask the venue if they had plans if more than 150. But if you can make it worth I say go with that place because it seems wonderful!

• katlingarrett@gmail.com'
    Kate @ Baking in Yoga Pants

Looking at venues is so fun! As far as #s go, we went through our invite list initially and said who we knew would definitely come, who we figured wouldn’t (it was out of state for a lot of people), and who might. There are always some surprises though. And I promise that no matter what, it all works out!

theorder

Favorite: When I looked at a huge cake which was on sale in the supermarket and realized that I could buy it if I wanted, without asking anyone for permission. I could eat only cake for dinner if I wanted. I could eat nothing for dinner if I wanted. And not go to bed.
    Least Favorite:No one wants to go out and play. Your friends aren’t hanging around the neighborhood waiting for you to get out of work. You cant call anyone spur of the moment and say “Hey lets go loiter in a gas station and break glass bottles”. Every social event is planned begrudgingly around everyone’s schedules and usually aren’t as fun as they used to be.

Becoming an adult is like that feeling that you spent your whole life tapping the world on the shoulder and when it finally turned around you forgot what you had to say.

Are you sending out invitations and save the dates or just invitations? The ratio increases when you use both.

Stacie Wells Post author

Favorite: Yes. This. Everyday.

Least Favorite: You would loiter and at a gas station and break glass bottles as a child.

Becoming and adult is like driving across the country in an RV to go to Disneyland for the first time, only when you get there, it’s closed.

Ohhh, look at you with some wedding planning insight. That’s a really good point! I’ll probably just send save the dates for family.

theorder

I was the best man for my brother’s wedding and we ended up number crunching different statistics because that’s what cool people do after weddings. BTW, I asked Kerri and she did not know the answer….do we get to see the animals? I’ll come for the wedding but I’ll stay for the animals. Hmmm, I think I just invited myself to your wedding.

• dillowa1@gmail.com'
    Brynn

What a beautiful venue!! I loved planning my wedding, there are so many fun and exciting parts to pulling your dream day together. For guests, we estimated that 20% would not be able to attend. And it was almost spot on! There are always some people who have to send their regrets, so don’t under invite. It will all work out and be the best day. Can’t wait to hear more!

• louisepittam@hotmail.co.uk'
    Louise@FitRadiance

What a gorgeous location!! Very exciting stuff :D
    I know what you mean, sometimes being an adult can completely suck, haha. Hmm,favourite thing would be being able to make my own decisions and choices. Least favourite would be working, paying tax, and general boring, responsible type things! :P

Stacie Wells Post author

Yeah, my least favorite things are taxes, bills and having to work. I miss being in college and having a job as a fun way to make some extra money. Oh, those were the days : )